Thursday, February 18, 2010

I want Toast

There's a little beep on my phone (well the Jaws riff actually), I've just recieved a Twitter update, though assume it to be something of slightly higher importance, I whip out my phone (I'm already fammiliar with the lectures subject (Post-Binary Legal systems, or something like that) and the teacher is staring at me already anyway)).
( )
I look at my phone in expectation and receive one of the greatest blows of banality. Stephen Hawking updated his Twitter; he's awfully in favour of a wheat based product.
I want to make things clear here; I like *toast. I've never actively dis-liked any *wheat based product. The thought of denying a wheelchair bound genius his crusty *midnight snack has never entered my mind.

I'm monoblogging about a serious issue brought up in the week two Networked Media Production class (University of Canberra). The teacher set-up a whiteboard (take that technology), wandered across and made a diagram in reference to the devolpment of the internet a little like this:

(To make) Hard ----------------------Easy
(To change) Complex-------------------Simple
(To afford) Expensive-----------------Cheap (Or even better Free!)
(What you use the tool for) Profound---------------- --Banal

It works as a basic graph to explain the cheaper, easier to make, simpler to use the website the more people will defecate on it. Now don't get me wrong; I have nothing personal against defecation (See above words makred with "*" and replace with 'defecation' for detail of my oppinion). However, often hand in hand with defecation one gets higher levels of simplicty.

The internet is based around shorthanded expressions and phrases, quick easy ways to communicate a common reaction, sentence or aphrodisiacal idea (In order; 'LOL', 'TTYL', 'Tits, or GTFO'). Speed and ease is the name of the game, nothing wrong with that IDIATT.

The question needs to be asked what happens when this becomes our major form of communication? When all of our politicians start using twitter? A simple comparisson between the news of thirty years ago and the news of today, the magazines that once soared and now take photos of celebrities having lattes, will reveal the capability of the media to conform to the simplicity that the internet and in a broader social context our reducd education system have pushed.

There will of course always be room for people who use big words, but the words themselves will stop appearing in our media. All our media. The greatest example of this is the "science-fiction" film *Avatar which is both the highest grossing film of all time and also one of the most formulaic predictable, simplistic ones.

I want a bagel...

No comments:

Post a Comment