Thursday, May 13, 2010

Zombies are big

Zombies are big. Right now, Zombies are huge.
There is a massive internet culture of geeks who constantly joke about the coming zombie apocalypse. My Networked Production Geo-Narrative feeds into that market. Often these guides will take a parody form even when accurate in terms of actual information. This level of accuracy is important even in jest. Mine takes this same form with relatively dry humor throughout most of it.
To my knowledge my project is the first Zombie survival guide in map form. Most talk about features to avoid but mine specifically maps out the local area for Canberran's, thus simplifying and streamlining the features.
I found Google maps a very nice tool to create my map. However I did have to save often towards the end as it crashed several times. I believe this crashing was to do with the amount of icons upon the map, so at that point I decided I couldn't fit much more onto it. Crashing most commonly happened when I attempted to use the 'line' function. For this reason I avoided using it in excess.
For the photos required in the work I decided to further the comedic line of the piece while still having an appearance of usability. To do this I took photos from some interesting spots, adjusted the saturation, light levels and hue to create apocalyptic landscapes. To change this into something less serious I payed a friend (Sally B.) to create some cartoon zombies. I matched them to the lighting and saturation and inserted them into many of the photos.

1 comment:

  1. Note: Sally B. Did not wish for her full name to appear.

    ReplyDelete